Here are some ideas:
- Prepare for the trip by having your child put together a list of what we need to buy for a particular cooking project. Go through the fridge and cupboards together and see what is needed. Discuss and decide on ingredients for recipes in the coming weeks (this is also a great way to introduce healthy eating and what it takes to achieve it).
- Let your child write the list, if he or she is old enough to write. Otherwise, you can write it down.
- Your child can be responsible for holding onto the list.
- Go into the grocery store together. Start looking for items. Compare sizes and costs. If the per unit cost of a large container is cheaper, can the item be frozen or stored safely?
- Show your child how to keep an eye on the register as items are being rung up to make sure the prices and item description is accurate.
- Pay in cash and count the change.
and other useful skills.